When Jesus walked the face of the earth, there were also illnesses that plagued the lives of men and though medical knowledge was not as advanced as it is now such that there are so many names for various kinds of illnesses, the Bible specifies some.
Some of them include:
1. Leprosy: Leprosy was one of the most prevalent skin diseases in the time of Jesus and people with this illness were considered unclean and were stigmatized. Jesus healed quite a number of people who had this disease in the Bible. Their accounts can be seen in Matthew 8:2-3, Mark 1:40-42, Luke 5:12-13, Luke 17:12-14.
2. Blindness: Jesus also healed a number of blind men in the Bible, some of whom were born blind. Accounts of Jesus healing the blind can be found in Matthew 9:27-30, Matthew 12:22, Matthew 15:30-31, Matthew 20:30-34, Matthew 21:14, Mark 8:22-25, Mark 10:46-52, Luke 7:21, John 9:1-7.
3. Paralysis: Paralysis was also referred to as ‘palsy’ in the Bible. A paralysed man was brought to Jesus by his friends and Jesus healed him. This account can be found in Matthew 9:1-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26, John 5:1-18.
4. Lameness: The Bible records that the lame were brought to Jesus and they walked after He healed them. This can be found in Matthew 15:30-31 and Matthew 21:14.
5. Fever: Shortly after Simon Peter became a disciple of Jesus, Jesus visited him but met his mother-in-law down with a fever. The Bible records that Jesus healed her and she was able to serve them. You can find this account in Matthew 8:14-15.
6. Haemorrhaging: A condition referred to as ‘an issue of blood’ was recorded in the Bible. A certain woman had this condition and had spent her life savings on getting healed of the disease all to no avail. However, on touching the hem of Jesus’ garment, she was healed. This account can be found in Matthew 9:18-26, Mark 5:21-43, Luke 8:40-46.
7. Withered hand: A man with a withered hand was in the synagogue, the same time as Jesus and his hand was fully restored after he stretched it out at the command of Jesus. You can find this account in Mark 3:1-5.
8. Epilepsy: A young man had this illness and his father had come to tell Jesus about it when he suffered another attack in the presence of Jesus. The Bible records that Jesus healed the boy and gave him back to his father. You can find this in Matthew 17:14-20, Mark 9:17-29, Luke 9:38-42.
9. Dropsy: When Jesus visited the house of one of the rulers of the Pharisees, he saw a man who had dropsy and healed him. Read this account in Luke 14:1-6.
10. Deafness and speech impediment: A young man who was deaf and dumb was brought to Jesus around Decapolis. Jesus healed the young man. This account can be found in Mark 7:31-37.
11. A spirit of infirmity: While Jesus taught in the synagogue on the Sabbath, he met a woman whom the Bible says ‘had a spirit of infirmity of over eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up’ and healed her – Luke 13:10-17
12. Dismembered body part: This is the last healing miracle that Jesus did before His crucifixion as recorded in the Bible. Peter, in a bid to avoid Jesus arrest, cut off the ear of Malchus, the servant of the High Priest but Jesus healed the young man before He was taken away. You can find this account in Luke 22:50-51.